LI: To write a set of clear instructions that show us how to make a hangi.
Title: How to make a Hangi
A Hangi is a traditional formal way of doing underground cooking by the Maori.
- dig a pit but slightly bigger than the food basket.
- create a stack by using the wood crates. also using volcanic stones and wood.
- light wood with a lighter on the stacks in 3 – 4 in different places.
- peeling and getting the vegetables and getting the -meat prepared.
- let the fire burn for 3 – 5 before cooking.
- place the food into baskets. into the basket. Also making sure someone is watching the fire
- put in banana leaves or foil inside the food basket
- place wet cloths on top of the hangi.
- use shovels to transport hot rocks from fire to trap the heat inside the hangi
- After 3-5 hours you scrape the dirt carefully take off the cloth and then remove each cloth carefully off the Hangi.
- When removing one of the last cloths careful for any dirt that may get into the the food.
- Carefully take the food basket out with someone’s help, then enjoy the food.
Today we unpacked how to follow and write a set of instructions. To do this effectively your instructions need to be explicit and the steps to follow ordered. Each step begins with an instructional verb and should be written in a way that is easy to understand.
Make sure someone is watching the food or fire. Don’t leave the food unattended. Always have people to help you.
I enjoyed writing the instructions because it helped me understand how to make hangi.